09 May, 2014

Quotable Friday (32)

After many weeks, this is the penultimate post in my mini-series of Quotable Fridays. I've spent the last couple of months counting down the top 10 most popular books, as voted for in the BBC Big Read 2003. This week the quotation is from the book that came second in that poll - Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I gave this book 8/10 for enjoyment when I read it.

I love Jane Austen. Emma is probably my favourite novel of hers, but I can see why Pride and Prejudice has so many fans. Austen is witty and sharp; her books may be mostly about society and marriage, but they are anything other than fluffy. It's tempting to quote the opening line as it must be one of the most famous openings in literature, especially as there are few other standalone lines that are really striking (that's not to say there aren't many brilliant longer passages). Instead, I shall quote something that writers and readers everywhere can sign up to...

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."

3 comments:

  1. Perfect. Every aspiring might well add five words - "...Filled with my own books!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe! I'd love a house with a library - although think how much it would cost to fill one!

      Delete
    2. A library room sounds like a lovely way to spend Sundays. The only question is whether one could write there as well with all the books staring down at you!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.