14 January, 2014

You're Sure You've Finished, Right?

One of the hardest things for a writer is to know when to finish. Even with flash fiction it can be hard to know when you've worked on something enough; with a novel it's almost impossible. Only the deluded will ever believe there is not a single word to be improved in a 80 000-word (or more) book. At some point though, you have to let go - submit to agents, send to competition judges or press the publish button.

That's why I was tickled to come across this great poster, created by Anna Hurley "Are You Absolutely, Positively, And Wholeheartedly Ready to Publish Your Novel?". You can view the image properly on Buzzfeed, or you can buy it from its creators at 826 National. It's meant to be tongue-in-cheek, and all profits from 826 National go towards writing programs for students who might not otherwise have the opportunity to release their creativity through writing. You can find out about their great work here.

The poster contains loads of fun flow diagrams and charts to help you decide if you really are ready. Including: a spinning wheel to help you choose a title, a space for your author photograph, graphs of adversity and a list of people you've shown your novel to who are not worthy critics (one point each!).

So, are you ready to publish (or submit) your novel? If you'll excuse me, I think I have a little work to do...

7 comments:

  1. Although the Internet is divided, SOMEONE once said 'art is never finished, only abandoned' - something I'm sure writers can feel. Great image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that makes me sad for my poor abandoned stories. But it's true.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I thought so. Nothing like something to make you feel insecure just when you thought you were done!

      Delete
  3. I think the "spin the wheel" title maker, and the basics flow chart are particularly good. Clearly its the lack of dinosaurs in TAOLG that's the problem. Get a velociraptor to wander along the beach in chapter one and all the publishers will want a copy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I think you've cracked it! Velociraptors. That's the one. And perhaps a little nest of Pterodactyls outside the hospital window.

      Delete
  4. I always think I'm finished. But then I find things to fix. So this could be helpful since I never know when to quit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.