12 February, 2015

Flash 500 - Second Place

In November I was happy to share with you the news that I had been awarded a Certificate of Distinction in the Mere Literary Festival timed flash fiction competition. I am now even happier to tell you that the re-worked version of that story has just been awarded second place in the Flash 500 competition for the last quarter of 2014.

My story - The Language of Fish - was originally written in a week and was 350 words long. With the encouragement of Mere, I decided to give it a little more time and extend it closer to 500 words and enter into Flash 500. Flash 500 is a highly-regarded quarterly competition which regularly attracts several hundred entries so I was delighted to even make the longlist of 50, let alone win a prize. I have entered once before and was shortlisted that time so it's very pleasing to have done a little better this time.

You can read my story here, and see the judges comments and links to all three winning stories here. If you have a spare three minutes, please do go and give it a read!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I just read your story, and the ending is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I still feel I didn't get that last paragraph quite right, but the sentiment came through!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie. I haven't written much for so long, it was nice to get something finished at all - I wasn't expecting such a great response :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Chloe, this is a beautiful story amongst some other great ones in the competition and I had such a hard time choosing 1st, 2nd and 3rd places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Liza, for choosing my story. It's really made my day/week/month! Now I don't have much time for writing, it's special to know the time my baby does allow me isn't wasted.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank-you. I felt like it had something when I was writing it, but sometimes it's difficult to tell if you are deluding yourself!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations, Chloe. It's a great story - short and poignant, with the emotional impact all the more powerful for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Derek. I was uncertain about fitting the entire history of a relationship into 500 words, but I felt I said all that was necessary!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.