16 April, 2013

Reasons I Can't Be A Writer

Reasons I can't be a writer:
  • I am not struggling to make ends meet
  • I am not filthy rich
  • I don't drink wine
  • I don't drink coffee
  • I don't drink tea
  • I don't write before dawn
  • I don't write late at night
  • I don't write every day
  • I don't forget to eat
  • I am not depressed
  • I am not melancholic
  • My childhood was happy
  • My adulthood is happy
  • I don't feel misunderstood by the world
  • Science fascinates me more than art
  • Writing is not the most important thing in my life

Reasons I might be a writer:
  • I write stuff. Sometimes people read it. Sometimes they don't.


What a boring world it would be if all writers were really what we're expected to be. In fact, wouldn't it be dull if all engineers were the same, or all teachers, or all market traders, mothers, newsagents and firemen? Here's to you my fellow writers, for all the things you are that I'm not, and all the things we have in common!

"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one." Eleanor Roosevelt

8 comments:

  1. Made me smile! So true. Our differences are to be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember enjoying a post you did once on writer stereotypes :)

      Delete
  2. Yup, I think you got just about all the stereotypes in there.

    I see you're reading Dune. That was one book I always meant to read, but never got around to it. What do you think about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really get on well with sci-fi and I am loving Dune! It's so well written. It took me a while to get into it and I can't say I'll be racing to read the sequels - it's just not my kind of genre - but I'm looking forward to reading a bit more every day. Frank Herbert has created such a believable world and has the perfect mix of describing that world and just cracking on with the plot.

      Delete
  3. But you're great with words.
    So there you go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank-you :) Writers are people who write stuff. Full stop.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.