15 May, 2015

Quotable Friday (45)

Last week I brought to you some quotations from Baroness Ruth Rendell who died earlier this month. I mentioned that her death was not marked as much as it might have been as it occurred on the same day Princess Charlotte was born. I also mentioned that CS Lewis and Aldous Huxley had a similar unremarked passing, as they both died on the same day that JF Kennedy was assassinated.

I've quoted from CS Lewis many times on this blog before, so I thought maybe it was Aldous Huxley's turn. I read Brave New World in my teens and was really taken with it. I heard it on the radio again recently and was still absorbed by his dystopian vision of the future.

Here is a quotation appropriate for a writer, taken from that novel:

"Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced."

I hope the words I write one day will have the same piercing effect that his did. I can dream, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.