02 December, 2014

World Book Night 2015

As is becoming tradition on this blog, I want to draw your attention to the list of books being given away for the next World Book Night. WBN is an annual event where copies of 20 different books are given away by volunteers to people who might not necessarily have the money, ability or knowledge to buy these books for themselves. The 20 books for 2015 have just been announced and, as usual, it looks like a fabulous mix of genres and style. Here they are:

  • Custard Tarts and Broken Hearts - Mary Gibson
  • Honour - Elif Shafak
  • Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death - MC Beaton
  • Chickenfeed - Minette Walters
  • Dead Man Talking - Roddy Doyle
  • The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce
  • Street Cat Bob - James Bowen
  • Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
  •  Skellig - David Almond
  • After the Fall - Charity Norman
  • Queen's Gambit - Elizabeth Freemantle
  • Spring Tide - Cilla and Rold Borjlind
  • Prime Suspect - Lynda La Plante
  • Essential Poems from the Staying Alive Trilogy - edited by Neil Astley
  • The Martian - Andy Weir
  • My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece - Annabel Pitcher
  • The Moaning of Life - Karl Pilkington
  • When God Was a Rabbit - Sarah Winman
  • Escape from Camp 14 - Blaine Harde
  • Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb

A couple of years ago I had to admit I'd only read four of the 2013 list. Now I must confess I've read even fewer of this year's! I'm pretty sure I read Skellig as a child, and I recently read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. Although I've never read any Agatha Raisin books, I do love a bit of gently-comic cosy crime and have listened to most of them on the radio (Penelope Keith makes the most perfect Agatha). Id' recommend any of those three, but I can't vouch for the others. Have you read any of them? Would you recommend the ones you know? I am tempted by My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece and When God Was a Rabbit.

This is what World Book Night have to say on the process of choosing the books each year: "When choosing the World Book Night titles, what we look for in books is simple – good, enjoyable, highly readable books with strong compelling narratives. When considering our list we’re looking also look to include books across a variety of genres, fiction and non-fiction as well as books aimed at young adults."

You can find out more about the books and the choosing process, see lists of previous books and even apply to give out books yourself on the WBN website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.