18 April, 2014

Quotable Friday (29)

I've been using my Quotable Friday series to introduce the top 10 books from the BBC Big Read public vote taken in 2003. I finished reading the top 100 last year, but thought I'd spare you numbers 11 to 90 (for now!). This week is number five - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling. I don't know if I was in a bad mood when I rated this, but I gave it 6/10 for enjoyment when I first read it. I remember it better than that! (Although I do prefer several of the other Harry Potter books).

Being the fourth book in a seven-part series, there are perhaps less profound quotations to be found, but that doesn't mean they're not there. This might not be an entirely original thought, but it's a good one...

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

2 comments:

  1. I think that quote is outstanding. It reminds me of something I stood by when I was in management. 'Praise in public ... criticise in private'. I had lived by that rule in my military career and it felt right to use it in retail too, much to the surprise of some.
    On another note, and regarding my cartoon idea - Disney has many modern characters so I'm presently trying to work out which would be a good one to use for Digory's birth details. Any Disney preference, let me know.
    Examples are on my present website: http://www.tom-benson.co.uk/artwork/gifts-and-commissioned-pieces/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Tom, that's so kind of you! I don't know that I know any of the modern Disney films. I always loved Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King growing up. I was a bit obsessed with Pumba from The Lion King when I was about 8 years old!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.